Much Ado About Quartos
Quartos are designed to:
- build lean websites.
- help people learn HTML and CSS.
- be modified by Python programmers.
- be copied, pasted, and shared with anyone.
See the home page tutorial to get started quickly.
Self-promotion is not so vile a sin.Quartos build 5kB sites with 500 lines of code, not 500MB sites with 500 packages.
- What can be happier than to despise all package installs?
- Nothing to install.
- Extras, not requirements.
- No combinatorial explosions of implicit dependencies.
- Build multiple quartos on the same machine without conflicts.
- Write out thy lines with stateless lazy-lists.
- Cat strings without schlemieling.
- Generate HTML lazily one line at a time.
- Build pages without copying images or large media files.
- No caches, file watchers, event listeners, or busy loops.
- Run cleanly, as a simple script should do.
- No plugins, shims, templates, wrappers, or boondoggles.
- Never modify files outside the project folder (unless you insist).
- No environment variables, hidden files, or modifications to your home folder.
- Code is in the
quartofolder, not the
- Brevity is the soul of www.
- 1 Python module
- + 4 Python scripts
- + 0 ten-ton widgets
- = 1
Draw the curtain and inspect the page source.
View the source for this page. Is it full of scripts and frameworks, sacrificing bandwidth?
- Chrome source
- View > Developer > View Source (Ctrl+U, ⌥⌘U)
- Chrome tools
- View > Developer > Developer Tools (Ctrl+Shift+I, ⌥⌘I)
- Firefox source
- Tools > Web Developer > Page Source (Ctrl+U, ⌘U)
- Firefox tools
- Tools > Web Developer > Toggle Tools (Ctrl+Shift+I, ⌥⌘I)
View source for some other web pages. The browser doth request too much, methinks.
Use as much of this code as please you.
Quartos are made to be copied and modified, not to be installed and configured.
- Don't. Download it here or create a new repo.
- Delete it. Out, out, brief quarto! It's but a working folder.
Copy and paste.
Quirecode's a page, and all the scripts and modules are one folder.
- Edit the source code. One template repo makes the whole world kin.
Each quarto is a smörgåsbord, not a table d'hôte. (Which is best is a matter of taste.)
Give the devs their due.
The original stock quarto was created by:
- Sam Kennerly
- quarto.svg by Molly Blair
- galaxy.jpg by NASA and ESA
- Sam Kennerly
- adrift, burning, doctoral by Sam Kennerly
- celestial by Jennifer Blair and Sam Kennerly